IAS Topper NANDINI K R

IAS Topper  NANDINI K R


 It gives great pleasure to write down this article. As there is saying, “Tiny drops of water make an ocean”, I have been benefitted from the guidance and inputs of many noble souls. Hence, I deem it my yeoman duty to share the strategy that worked for me. However, I firmly believe, in case of CSE preparation that “every journey is unique” though the destination is same. When we have 1000 candidates cracking the exam it means that we also have so many different strategies and approaches .Thus, for CSE preparation, one size doesn’t fit all.
Hence, I request you not to blindly follow me, but formulate your own strategy keeping in mind your challenges, strengths, capacity, aptitude and situations in life.
In the write up that follows below I would try to give a brief account of my 4 years journey, the purpose of the write up will be served if the take away is
                                 “Success is not final, failure is not fatal;
                                    It is the courage to continue that counts”

Dreaming To Be An IAS 

I hail from nondescript village Kembodi in Kolar district of Karnataka. In the formative years of my personality, my father used to take me to literacy awareness generation camps. Where in I got an   opportunity to stay and work as volunteer in the remotest villages across the district. During this time, observed the potential of district administration to solve grass root level challenges and bring about improvement in standard of living of masses. This was when seeds of civil service were sown.
Fulfilness of IAS dream
During my engineering studies I used to commute by bus from Kolar to Bangalore. This was the age of germination of lot of ideas in me. During five hours of daily travel, my thoughts, perspectives and orientation towards society crystallized. Being an extrovert, interactions with fellow commuters helped me visualize different faces of society we live in and the challenges various sections of society face. Thanks to society for being my inspiration. 

 First Attempt-2013
Beginning of my preparation was akin to searching for a hidden treasure without any map or compass. Without proper guidance and preparation I took exam in 2013. I missed prelims cutoff by near margin. I was not disheartened but realized that if I prepared well with proper guidance, my dream would be easily realizable.

Second Attempt-2014
Every aspirant reaches a stage of life where his/her peers start earning. It is the age when one feels shy to continue to seek parents’ support. I also underwent all these. Hence, though financial constraints were not very acute I decided to join as assistant engineer (AE) in Karnataka public works department (PWD) provide stability and financial support. Incidentally, it also helped me in understanding administration challenges at work. (I think financial hardships should not lead to compromise in goal setting, rather should make us more firm, hardworking and goal oriented) 
I started my second attempt preparation with the reading of basic books, NCERTS, newspaper. With respect to my Optional Subject (Kannada Literature) preparation, I understood the needs of CSE; tuned my strategies accordingly. Thanks to my passion for Kannada Literature, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. This helped me develop strong command over my optional subject.


Right optional subject
Optional subject, in my experience should be selected based on interest, passion and aptitude one has towards a subject. In my case reading Kannada literature was akin to relaxation amidst vast general studies syllabus. It has been even my hobby since childhood. Further, it has played an important role in shaping my personality.

Number of questions left unanswered in each paper in 2014 attempt:
General studies
Paper1—6 out of 25
Paper2—8 out of 20
Paper3—6 out of 20
Paper4—2 case studies 25 marks each.
Optional paper1—1question (50marks)
Optional paper2—1question (50marks)
Essay:
There was a change in pattern, candidates were asked to write 2 essays in 3 hours instead of one, in 2 hours I finished one essay and I could write only a half on second topic within time limits.
My Scores in CSE-2014
Essay89
General Studies – 186
General Studies – 270
General Studies – 372
General Studies – 499
Optional Paper – 1 (Kannada)146
Optional Paper – 2 (Kannada)134
Personality Test171

When the results came, I was not very unhappy about it, instead I was not satisfied with my efforts. I decided to work on my shortcomings in this attempt. I had the same feeling that MS Dhoni had when he was not selected for National Team for the first time (CourtesyMS DHONI – The Untold Story movie). I told to myself that this failure taught me my shortcoming – lack of writing practice.  

Third Attempt-2015
I started working on my writing skills, correcting my past mistakes, learning to write within time limits. However, I couldn’t write mains as I got unwell because of dengue and also due to some extraneous reasons.  All my initiatives in every sphere had to face lot of road blocks and obstacles during this time. The Almighty tested my patience and perseverance to the core. But this attempt gifted me beautiful life lessons in the form of principle of EQUANIMITY- taking success and failure equally. It made me realize that FAILURE is nothing but a First Attempt in Learning. It’s during these difficult times that emailed Insightsonindia to seek guidance for the next attempt. 
Fourth Attempt 2016
As I had submitted technical resignation to my previous job I joined IRS (customs and central excise) training in December 2015 with a thought of giving an attempt during training. For first two months I did prepare for exam after packed schedule of physical training and classes. But I was enjoying neither training nor preparation. I firmly believe that it is imperative to love whatever we do.
This is when I thought that I should once again give my best efforts to realize my aim mainly because I should not suffer from pain of regret. At this juncture my friends at academy nudged me towards taking EOL (extraordinary leave). However I took some time to weigh the pros and cons of the decision. Just before taking decision I called my parents. They said “we will be with you in all your decisions and endeavors but be happy and enjoy whatever you do and don’t bother about results, just work for your satisfaction”. These words reverberated throughout my preparation. My friend suggested me to go to Bangalore and prepare under the guidance of Insights.
I decided the following,
  • My entire preparation will be based on self-study.
  • I will study at home
  • I will focus on writing practice by taking tests and personal feedback
Insights test series in Bangalore suited all my above requirements. Thus, I moved to Bangalore and stayed nearby Insights institute.
In the fourth attempt my performance and my score was as above.


Interview Preparation.
As it is test of personality, I tried to reflect on myself. A Few things which I did for this stage are
  • being thorough with the DAF
  • reading ,analyzing and developing views on current affairs
  • mainly discussing issues with friends. This helped me in knowing diverse view points and critical comments on an issue.
  • I also discussed questions and issues with my teachers